miércoles, 7 de enero de 2009

The Foreword.

Konichiwa Ladies & Gentlemen,

This blog was created in order to provide your inquisitive minds with the latest details of my adventures in ASIA. I hope to update frequently with pictures, however, I am often without access to the internet or a computer and so entries may become sporadic.

But first, please allow me to explain how this all came about.

In November 2007 I was faced with the challenge of finding something to do with myself after I finished my B.Sc. And so, I applied for the Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme (JET). A cooperation effort between the governments of English speaking countries and Japan to place native English-speakers in locations around Japan. The goal is to improve intercultural relationships and enhance the learning experiences of Japanese youth from Elementary school through High School (and beyond?!). (For more information on the JET programme, please visit: http://www.jetprogramme.org/)

While I made it to the interview process, I was not selected (nor rejected!) for the final applicants list. Instead I was placed on the wait-list. Generally, contracts are issued in late July/early August and so once September arrived, I assumed my hope of East-Asia living was over. However, mid-October I received an email offering me a position, if I was still interested. After some deliberation, and subsequent circus tricks to jump through all the beaurocratic red-tape, I left Canada for Japan on December 3rd, 2008.

My travel schedule was a wee bit daunting. Halifax to Montreal, Montreal to Toronto, Toronto to Vancover and then Vancover to Narita Tokyo. After a night in a hotel I went to the domestic airport, Haneda Tokyo, and made my final flight to Fukuoka, my new home.

(Fukuoka Prefecture indicated in pink)

Fukuoka prefecture (similar to province or state) is in Southern Japan, on the island of Kyushu. I live in Shime-machi (Shime Town) in Kasuya-gun (Kasuya County) which is in the greater area of the capital city, Fukuoka city.
My apartment (more on this later!) is 15 minutes from the JR station (Japanese Railways) which connects to the rest of the country. From there, the downtown centres of Tenjin and Hakata are only another 15 minutes.
Fukuoka city has a population of around 2.5+ million people and is the closest point to many Asia countires, in particular South Korea. Because of this it is an international and commerical hub for most major Asia cities. (For more information on Fukuoka, please visit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fukuoka_Prefecture)


(Fukuoka City indicated in darker purple/blue)

Well, that is all I have for now.
If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to leave them. I will try my best to respond as soon as possible.

Wishing you all the best,
Jon

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario